Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Opening Ceremonies

openingalc7


On Day one, my mother dutifully picked me up at 4:30 in the morning, with her amazing boyfriend in tow in order to drop off my gear bag, attend opening ceremonies and ride out.

Part of the ceremony includes a flag procession of the "Positive Pedalers" - (an HIV positive cycling group whose goal it is to remove the stigma from being HIV positive) follwed by two ride leaders pushing the "riderless bicycle" down the center of the arena. The bicycle is for all the "angels" that could not join us on the ride.

My mother and I ended up bawling. The image of an empty bicycle was very powerful. It really helped set the focus for the ride. While there was fun to be had on the ride, we were always aware of why we were riding.
me n'mom

I was surprised at how happy I was to have people there to see me off. It was great to see them as I rode out, cheering me on. It made my mom really happy to be there too - so that made me happy.

No comments: